How to Use Outlook.com on an Android Phone
I have been using Android phones for a long time now. I am also not the type to upgrade from a perfectly working phone just because the latest and greatest has come out. Recently we moved to Verizon’s Edge plan and upgraded our phones, yay. After using an HTC Droid DNA for so long and previous Android phones I found some things lacking; mainly the lack of integrating with my Outlook.com account.
I had been working on a solution that contained several projects. Due to company conventions I had to rename the projects, name spaces, and change the folder structure. Things seems to work, builds were good and the applications would run without error.
the problem occurred once I checked it all into TFS, and made everyone target the same framework. Some how I was getting an error about Entity Framework and that I needed to reinstall it.
I ran the command for each project and both times would receive a message like this one;
Skipped Reinstalling package ‘Name Here’ because the package does not exist in the package source.
My fix was simple. I went to the project and managed its packages. I noticed that Entity Framework was not even installed. I thought that kind of odd as I assumed the Update-Package -reinstall would have done it, but I clicked the install button.
Everyone is happy now.
I am currently using Visual Studio 2015 RC and have notice something that is kind of annoying. It seems the Task List window does not want to populate as quickly as previous versions. I have not noticed a pattern yet, but I did submit it as a bug.
In the screen shot below I don’t think it picked up that //TODO for an exceptionally long time. Normally it seems to take a while to pick up my custom tasks, like //INFO.
I have to admit I was wrong about the significance of the new Window Layout functionality in Visual Studio 2015. As it turns out I really have been using this feature.
Today while using Visual Studio 2015 CTP 6 I encountered a problem. It kept crashing. I know earlier today I had installed several extensions; two of which did not come from Microsoft or Microsoft employees. Naturally I suspected some extensions.
Command Line to the rescue. You simply start Visual Studio from the command line with the flag to start in safe mode. Once it comes up you can remove those suspect extensions.
I know we have intellisense in Visual Studio 2013 for the break point Condition, but we do not have it for the Action. I was toying around with 2015 and noticed we now have it for the Action as well.
This is very useful for creating output messages to the debugger window. In the screen shot below I have an object called myObject. This object has three properties, an Id, a Name, and a CreatedDate.
Creating a custom error page in MVC 5 is not too difficult. If you want to have one that is server farm friendly, well that is not too tough either. I created a little demo project for doing custom errors that passes a model around. To be effective in handling uncaught errors we will need to use the Global.asax Application_Error method. You can also use this method to send errors that you catch but just cannot handle or fail out of gracefully.
There are a number of reasons why you may want to do custom errors like I do below.
- You are in a server farm or other environment where Session based objects will not work
- Display a user friendly message based on the error received
- Display a user friendly message based on an HTTP Code (if one was returned)
- Log the error
- Send a notification of the error
I made a goof ball mistake today. I was using LINQ to query a List<> and return the ToString() of the result. As usual I was using FirstOrDefault() and I simply added .ToString() to the end of it.
fieldValue = (from d in customFields where d.CustomFieldId == fieldId select d.data).FirstOrDefault().ToString();
Of course things worked swimmingly until the Default (null) was hit. At that point I got an Object not set to an instance error. I had to laugh at myself.
var fieldData = (from d in customFields where d.CustomFieldId == fieldId select d.data).FirstOrDefault(); fieldValue = fieldData != null ? fieldData.ToString() : "";
I have noticed an issue with the MVC project in Visual Studio that I am sure others have seen too. I say this because I have seen a number of solutions in StackOverflow and the ASP.Net forums. This post is not about some great way to write your own extensions and automagically have the placeholder set in the HTML that is displayed to the user. No, this is a much simpler method.
Just manually set the placeholder in your Razor syntax. Chances are you are going in there anyway to tweak a few things instead of using what Visual Studio scaffolded for you. I would still recommend setting the Prompt in your model though, I suspect that one day this will get fixed or you might actually need it to be automatically generated. In fact I’d say that if you are writing your own Edit Templates you should include the small extra step to make it auto-generated.
If you are not doing that, here is the easiest fix or work around.
Opera has a neat feature for its settings called Power User mode. What is even neater is how you enable this mode.
- Bring up the settings tab
- Type in that old game code with your arrow keys Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right
- Then type B A to finish the code
Just to be clear the whole code is the arrow keys for direction followed by B and then A, you don’t need to hold shift down or anything.
Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A
One of the really cool things you can do in power user mode is remove the search box from the Speed Dial page. Personally I prefer Bing but right now you cannot change this box from Google. So removing it gives me more immediate space in my Speed Dial.